Teaching Your Dog The Basic Command Of "Come Here"
The following instructions will have your dog responding to your "come" command in no time. This easy technique revolves around luring your dog and then rewarding him. Please note that this will be a lot easier if your dog is hungry before beginning training. Also, have handy small dog treats that you will use as a training aid.
Five Steps To Train Your Dog the "Come" Command
1. First stand in front of your dog and hold a dog treat in between your thumb and index finger so it can easily be seen. Your arm should be in front of you but resting on your leg.
2. Now simply get the atmosphere exciting to your dog by putting on a great big smile and with a sweet and fun tone of voice, say "Sparky, Come!" Do not overdo the come command with too much excitement, just enough to get him to notice you and realize that you are happy.
3. Your puppy should start running towards you, especially at the sight of the dog treat in your hand. Most dogs come running at the first hint of food, but your puppy may need a little more motivation. If after a moment he does not respond, your next move is to squat down and reach out with the treat just slightly, while calling his name again and getting the "come" command.
4. Once your puppy does arrive at the treat and in front of you, try to lure him into the sitting position by stroking his neck and upper back with one hand and applying pressure on his hind for him to sit, while slowly moving the treat to his mouth with your other hand. Now is the perfect time to start praising him in a loving voice and creating a positive feeling that he will want to experience again when you call his name and ask them to come to you.
5. Eventually drop the dog treats altogether and repeat the above steps, but offering praise instead of food when your dog comes to you.
More articles on Dog Training
Dog Training Info
Dogs and puppies need an understanding of leadership and who is to play that role in order to be happy and feel a sense of belonging. Knowing this basic principle will help you and your dog live a happy life together in your home.
Stopping Dog From Digging
You want to stop the dog from digging? This article tells you all about it, and includes some excellent tips and tricks to solve the problem.